20th March 2019
An invasive survey has undertaken of the Spurn Lightship.
Engineers from the project’s naval architects Beckett Rankine visited the Spurn lightship in a windswept Hull Marina on 14 and 15 March to conduct an intrusive survey of the vessel. The survey focussed on areas of the ship which could not be accessed when Beckett Rankine first surveyed the Spurn last November. This included surveying storage compartments and the bilge area below the lower deck to scope in detail the condition of the ship, including forming a more comprehensive sense of the external hull’s condition than the previous survey allowed.
Built for the Humber Conservancy Board by Goole Shipbuilding in 1927, the Spurn served on the Spurn and Bull stations until being retired in 1975. It was purchased by Hull City Council in 1983 and opened as a floating museum in 1987. In September 2018, the vessel was moved within the marina to allow space for the construction of a footbridge over Castle Street. Currently closed to the public, the Spurn will ultimately be moved to a berth adjacent to the new footbridge. The vessel will be refurbished with new, more interactive displays, and for the first time visitors will be offered the chance to climb the Spurn’s light tower. It is also anticipated that the vessel’s opening hours – latterly limited to summer Sundays – will be increased.
Hull: Yorkshire’s Maritime City aims to revitalise the city’s maritime heritage treasures, including Hull Maritime Museum, former trawler Arctic Corsair, the Spurn lightship, Dock Office Chambers, and North End Shipyard.
For more information, visit https://maritimehull.co.uk/, search Hull: Yorkshire’s Maritime City on Facebook, or follow @HullMaritime on Twitter.’